Avira Antivirus

THE SCOPE

and a bit of context

For many years, Avira’s main product was left in an “as it is” state, with only security and bug fixing acting as updates. This led to a performant but dated application.

Users were generally content with the product, but the lack of a modern UI and user-centric approach was making itself more and more present.

There has been an attempt at renewing the app, but after a year the company deemed it a failure, due to technical reasons.

Upon joining the Product Design team, I took over the bringing of the new UI and UX to life.

This meant the reworking of all the User flows, redesigning the User Interface and overall simplify the application as much as possible.

THE PROCESS

and my role in it

When I took over the product, the product was so decrepit from a UI/UX standpoint that urgent action was needed. We already had a pretty rich set of User needs and pain points, gathered from various sources, so we just started working.

Given the pressure, the urgency of the project and the background of the members of the team, I chose to quickly draw out some very rough wireframes and verify them with whoever I could. Basically i chose to skip the wireframing phase and proceeded directly to the hi-fidelity mockups. People needed something as close to reality as possible.

With the help of the UX Research department, we found out the company wide Personas that were already defined proved to be still valid, greatly easing the whole redesign process

So I drew some personal sketches in order to have a base for discussions with the PM and PO.

Overall, the project had to be approached from several different angles

The project started in July 2016 and is still continuing. Right now the first UI and interaction layer is implemented.
Throughout the project I am in constant contact with multiple teams, each one taking care of one or more tasks.

  • Three development/QA teams
  • The Localization/UX Writing department

  • The Usability Research department

As a product designer, I took care of everything that wasn’t coding

Due to external factors, user testing was possible only very late in the game

Still, in collaboration with the User Research department we organised a test at the Schmiedl Marktforschung GmbH usability studio in Munich. The selected users were from all walks of life and all backgrounds, with which we tested an alpha version of the product.
I was pretty sure it was going to be OK, given the starting point, but still, I was elated when the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.

Still, issues were uncovered – UI, copywriting/localization, development – and we addressed them as fast as possible.

By this time the teams really hit their stride and the velocity increased. In September 2017 we rolled out the first stage of the new UI with a very positive feedback from the users.

Testing methodology and key findings

Recruitment criteria

The Usability Research department tried to choose people from all walks of life and of all ages. Also, the company personas weren’t neglected.

For evaluating the results the SUS Scale was used.

While not a true diagnostic tool, the System Usability Scale was the right method to find out if we had or not a green light from a usability point of view.

SUS (System Usability Scale)

Key findings

I was pretty sure it was going to be OK, given the starting point, but still, I was elated when the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.

Still, issues were uncovered – UI, copywriting/localization, development – and we addressed them – and still are – as fast as possible.

Perform a scan

OLD

77%

NEW

89%
Perform an update

OLD

79%

NEW

85%
Turn off Real Time Protection

OLD

79%

NEW

88%
Delete from Quarantine

OLD

89%

NEW

99%
Restore from Quarantine

OLD

76%

NEW

46%
Date of Scheduled Scan

OLD

42%

NEW

44%

Final Product

Let’s have a talk!